Thanks to the DAZN team for publishing this article with us! If you’d like to write a guest post for our blog, fill out this form.
The First NFT Drop Tied to a World Championship Fight
Global sports streaming service DAZN teamed up with Canelo Alvarez, and Matchroom Boxing to launch the first NFT collection around a world championship boxing fight, complete with memorabilia from the fight and gamification. After dropping three collections before the fight, today DAZN released two ultra-rare Legendary Edition NFTs that showcase the best moments from last Saturday’s super middleweight clash between Canelo and Billy Joe Saunders.
This post-fight drop gives fans & collectors an opportunity to own the two defining moments of the fight:
- How It Started: Canelo’s Ring Walk 1/1 (Legendary): complete with 8K camera footage, fireworks, and a mariachi band, Canelo’s confident entrance was a sign of things to come. Bid on this piece of history, commemorating the Cinco de Mayo fight and the electricity in the arena with a record crowd of 73,126 for an indoor boxing event in the US.
- How it Ended: Canelo’s Uppercut 1/1 (Legendary): own the punch that broke Saunders’ orbital bone, shut his eye, and forced him to quit before the 9th round. This brutal right uppercut won the fight for Canelo and earned him another piece of the super middleweight title. This NFT comes with unlockable rewards: signed gloves & a personalized video from Canelo’s promoter, Eddie Hearn.
Both NFTs are live on auction now and will remain open until Saturday, May 15, at 10pm ET.
Canelo vs. Saunders Legendary Edition Knockout NFTs Sold Out On Fight Night
The Legendary Edition Knockout NFTs feature digital representations of each fighters’ gloves, complete with their digital signature and unique elements that showcase their own personal styles. These are two ultra-rate 1/1 NFTs, one for Canelo and one for Saunders, each coming with a once-in-a-lifetime package of rewards, including tickets to the fighter’s next fight, signed fight gloves, and a personalized video from either Canelo or Matchroom’s Eddie Hearn.
A New Experience for Collectors: Gamified NFTs with Unlockable Rewards
Many DAZN’s pre-fight collections included gamified elements that allowed fans to be part of the fight and try to acquire an entire collection of connected items.
Prediction NFTs asked fans to select the round they think the fight would end in or collect them all to own every round of the bout.
- Prediction (Gold) – thirteen 1/1 Gold Edition NFTs for all 12 rounds and a judges’ decision, sold via auction. Since the fight ended with an 8th round TKO, the owner of the Round 8 NFT will receive two tickets to Canelo’s next fight.
- Prediction (Bronze) – Bronze Editions sold at a fixed price. Owners of the 8th round will receive a free, year-long subscription to DAZN.
Tale of the Tape NFTs embody the traditional boxing tale of the tape poster, showcasing how each fighter stacks up on paper before he made his way to the ring.
- Tale of the Tape – Canelo (Gold) – a 1/1 NFT sold at auction that showcases Canelo’s dominance and comes with signed gloves from the pound-for-pound king himself and a free, year-long subscription to DAZN.
- Tale of the Tape – Saunders (Gold) – Despite Billy Joe’s loss, the owner of this 1/1 NFT will now receive signed gloves from Eddie Hearn and a free, year-long subscription to DAZN.
- Tale of the Tape – Canelo or Saunders (Silver) – the Silver Edition allowed fans to choose their favorite fighter. Now, all owners of the Canelo NFTs will receive free, year-long subscriptions to DAZN and one owner will also receive a personalized video from Canelo.